- About Cynthia Jabar
- Web Literacy, Girls & Teaching Kids To Code
- Storytelling Empathy: A Literacy Of Kindness
- Transmedia Storytelling Resources
- Raising Readers Literacy Collaboration
- Digital Literacy Collaborations + Transmedia Explorations
- Diverse & Inclusive Picture Books: Reading Lists & Resources
Thursday, July 22, 2010
BROWN LIKE ME! AWESOME!
I came across this great blog, brownlikemebookreviews.blogspot.com, which focuses on books which feature brown kids as lead characters.
The blog was started as a reaction to her daughter blurting out "hey mommy, she's brown like me!" as she was reading her a story.
How beautiful is that!
A 2007 study in the Journal of Marriage and Family found that 75 percent of white families with kindergartners never, or almost never, talk about race. For black parents the number is reversed with 75 percent addressing race with their children.
We all need books that help us create conversations and develop our ideas of ourselves and others in a positive way. BRAVO for highlighting these books!
You can see the review of WOW! IT SURE IS GOOD TO BE YOU!, on the brownlikemebookreview. The GIRLS ROCK illustration above is from the same book.
Thanks & ENJOY!